Orlistol is a weight management product designed to offer benefits that are similar to the prescription obesity treatment Orlistat.
It’s made in America by Nutratech Health, the same people responsible for Atrafen but although the company has done a pretty good job of mimicking the name of the prescription drug, Orlistol does not work in the same way as Orlistat.
Customers who buy it are promised three benefits:
- Blacks fat
- Blocks carbs
- Suppresses the appetite
The drug Orlistat only does one of these things. It blocks fat—period!
Fat blockers are generally taken before a meal and limit the amount of fat that is digested. Any fat that is not digested passes through the body without imparting any calories and is passed with the stool.
The drug Orlistat works by reducing the effectiveness of the enzymes responsible for digesting fat, and does this well enough to block 30 to 40 percent of any dietary fat consumed.
Nutratech Health’s product relies on an ingredient called chitosan to block fat absorption and chitosan works in a different way.
How To Use Orlistol
You take Orlistol before your meals. You need to wash the capsules down with 8oz of water and the number of capsules used depends on the meal. If your meal is going to provide 500 calories or less, one capsule is enough. If it’s going to provide more you need to take two, but it’s important never to exceed the maximum dose of four capsules per day.
Each capsule contains 725mg of a proprietary blend that provides undisclosed amounts of the following ingredients:
- Chitosan: A natural compound that binds fat to it and forms an indigestible compound. Fat that has been bound by chitosan passes through the body without being digested and is unable to release any calories. Chitosan is a good ingredient, but there are two forms available. One is taken from the shells of salt water crustaceans, the other is sourced from aspergillus niger fungus and it’s known to be the most potent. The participants in one clinical trial lost 3kg in 90 days. Nutratech Health fail to state which version they are using.
- Phaseolus Vulgaris (White Kidney Bean): A popular carb blocker. The body uses a specific enzyme to breakdown and digest carbohydrate. It’s called amylase and phaseolus vulgaris disrupts it’s abilities, causing a percentage of any carbohydrate consumed to pass through the body without being digested.
- Garcinia Cambogia Extract: A fruit extract that provides hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which has the ability to suppress the appetite. HCA also boast another ability that’s more unusual—it prevents the growth of new fat cells.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Rat-based research suggests apple cider vinegar may be “beneficial for the suppression of obesity-induced oxidative stress”, but it has no proven value as a weight loss aid for humans.
- Aloe Vera: A plant extract that is sometimes applied topically to burned skin. Aloe vera is credited with many abilities and is often taken orally as a remedy for constipation.
- California Buckthorn: A plant extract that is more commonly known as cascara. It’s primary value is as a laxative, but the FDA no longer sanctions its use in over-the-counter constipation remedies.
- Gymnema Sylvestre: Researchers have evaluated the virtues of gymnema sylvestre as a medicinal plant and state it reduces body weight, triglyceride levels, and blood cholesterol and “holds great prospects in dietary as well as pharmacological applications”.
Orlistol Customer Opinion
The company website displays some good customer reviews, but that’s no surprise. Diet pill manufacturers aren’t going to publicly share reviews left by customers who say their products don’t work. Fortunately, plenty of reviews are available via less biased sources and customer experience appears to vary a lot.
A few average comments read:
Potential Side Effects of Orlistol
Using fat blocking products can lead to vitamin deficiencies because some vitamins can only be obtained from fat, so people who use products of this nature would do well to use a good vitamin supplement at well. Nutratech Health fail to mention this in the marketing material or usage instructions.
People who use fat blocking products and continue to heat a lot of high fat food may also experience an urgent need for the toilet. Nutratech Health don’t mention this either, but they do point out the product may not be suitable for people under the age of 18, or for women who are pregnant or nursing a child.
Orlistol Buying Options
Orlistol has an RRP of $69.99 and there are 60 capsules per bottle. That’s damned expensive. Especially if you bear in mind the fact that people taking the maximum dose will need to crack open a new bottle every two weeks.
Fortunately, Nutratech Health have reduced the price to $39.99 per bottle, but this is still going to be a costly product to use and people who want to buy Orlistol have only two options. They can purchase it from the manufacturer’s website or via Amazon and, either way, the price is the same.
Nutratech Health are offering customers a 30-day money back guarantee.
Orlistol contains a respected fat binding ingredient, but there is no way to be certain if quantity provided is enough. Nutratech Health could have produced a more potent fat blocker by losing the other ingredients and making a pill that contained only chitosan.
If they had done this, Orlistol would probably produce the same results as Orlistat, even though those results would be obtained via a different fat blocking technique. Having said that, diet pills that provide multiple benefits usually offer a better chance of success than diet pills that only offer a single benefit.
Unfortunately, customer reviews suggest this particular jack of all trades is master of none because it’s already let a lot of people down. It may work for a few people, but bearing in mind the probable high cost of using Orlistol, and the unusually short guarantee, people can be forgiven if they decide betting on Orlistol is not a gamble they are willing to take.
Recommended Fat Blocker
We highly recommend PhenQ – PhenQ helps users lose weight on multiple levels. Can help burn existing body fat, stop new fat and reduce hunger.
Each bottle of PhenQ contains 60 capsules which should last a month – there are various discounts for buying more that one bottle. The current deal is buying 3 and getting a further 2 bottles free, this works out to be around £26 / US$38 per bottle. Shipping is free – even to Australia and New Zealand.